Smithers Pira is Europe’s leading independent specialist testing, consultancy and information services organisation for the packaging supply chain.
We are seeking a Testing Project Manager to join our dynamic Distribution Testing team to support our ongoing growth plans. The laboratory is focussed on establishing the fitness of products with respect to the physical rigours of shipment and distribution: vibration, shock, impact, compression and climatic conditioning. Clients include globally known brands in the medical, consumer, automotive and industrial sectors.
Reporting to the Business Manager, the successful candidate will take on a key role in developing and leading testing work programmes to meet workflow and revenue requirements of the business. You will need to utilise your understanding of scientific principles to understand client commercial drivers and technical issues, and develop enquiries into standard and value-adding technical testing solutions. You will have strong commercial awareness to support the team in creating new business initiatives and delivering to client expectations.
Projects range from one day assignments to month long studies incorporating a range of tests and analyses on multiple sample sets. The role includes overseeing and managing the involvement of multiple team members on a project basis.
You will be responsible for:
- Managing testing projects for clients and team members (ensuring activities are in alignment with objectives, executed within budget, updating clients, resolving issues)
- Managing client enquiries and developing enquiries into proposals
- Writing/compiling technical reports and checking reports compiled by others
- Take ownership to plan, prioritise and administer specific projects in the laboratory
- Take ownership of communications externally with clients on specific projects (updating clients with results as work progresses and managing sample handling)
- Take ownership of communications internally with the team on specific projects (provide technical support on identifying and capturing results, monitoring work progress, delivering against deadlines)
- Support the Laboratory Manager with assessing and implementing training requirements and H&S policy
- Support Management with compliance to the laboratory quality system ISO 17025
- Support the whole laboratory team in the delivery of high value, high quality results, observations, conclusions and recommendations to clients
- Improve packaging, logistics and testing knowledge to work towards the ability to provide input to clients decision making processes, develop proposals and deliver high value reports.
You must have a technical degree and a minimum of 2 years’ experience in a testing environment, technical role or project management role, preferably from within the packaging industry.
Alternatively, significant experience in a technical background gained within the packaging/logistics industry, with project management experience, would be acceptable.
If you feel that you meet our requirements, we would like you to apply! Please send a current CV and a covering letter stating the job ref 16/18 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please visit www.smitherspira.com for further details about Smithers Pira Ltd.
Smithers Pira Limited is an equal opportunities employer.