This report includes the current and future demand for functional and barrier coatings across 15 major paper and board end-uses in packaging and foodservice segments. It provides the size of the market now, and forecasts the size of the market to 2026. Qualitative insight of how shifting brand owner initiatives will direct demand for the development and commercialisation of new barrier coating technologies – including microfibrillated cellulose and biopolymer blends. Additionally, the report covers the impact the Covid-19 pandemic has had on trends in the functional and barrier coatings market and the longterm effects this will have across end uses and geographies.
Our exclusive content
What will you discover?
- Water-based coatings will continue to erode the share of solvent-based materials and will overtake their share of the market in 2021, although solid coatings (such as aluminium foil) continue to dominate over three quarters of the market by volume
- Moulded fibre packs have shown significant growth in demand for many end use sectors and will show steady medium-term growth. These packs are attracting considerable attention in the coating market as demand for food contact accreditation and water, oil and grease barriers grows amongst users in the food and food service sectors
The Smithers methodology
- Thermoplastic polymers are gaining market share, mainly at the expense of wax coatings, while all other coatings will see a slight decrease in market share over the review period to 2026
- Regional demand for functional and barrier coatings has been shifting towards the Asia-Pacific region and will continue to do so over the period under review.
This report is based on extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research consisted of targeted interviews with packaging material suppliers, converters and experts drawn from key markets. This was supported by secondary research in the form of extensive literature analysis of published data, official government statistics, domestic and international trade organisation data, company websites, industry reports, trade press articles, presentations, and attendance at trade events.
Who should buy the report?
About the author
- Paper and board material manufacturers
- Brand owners and packaging buyers
- Private and public-sector industry consultants, investors, and analysts
- Packaging converters
- Packaging and coating machinery manufacturers
- Paper and board coatings suppliers
Stephen Harrod spent 11 years building a market research company in South Africa, focused on the paper and packaging industry in that country, following which he spent six years in the paper industry with Mondi and JAC Labels before relocating to England. He has been authoring reports for Smithers since 2006, with a focus on global paper and packaging markets.