– Smithers, a leading provider of testing, consulting, information, and compliance services, has announced several new testing areas and capabilities at the Smithers Winter Test Center
(SWTC) in Brimley, Michigan, as well as updated safety and operations features.
The new updates to the facility include:
- Upgraded 15% hill and redesigned 20% covered hill. Three wheels on-ice capacity is now available with the new design.
- An off-road vehicle course including articulations, twists, ditches, slopes, and off-camber sections.
- Touchless Bluetooth gate access and new front gate security building to allow for safe, secure, contact-free entrance to the facility.
- Upgraded on-site power to support additional electric vehicle chargers and building requirements.
“Every year, we take stock of what our clients are requesting so we prioritize new testing areas, upgrades, and other changes before the next winter testing season,” said Sean Connolly, General Manager of the Smithers Winter Test Center. “With electric and autonomous vehicle technology changing so quickly, new testing needs emerge all the time, and we’re dedicated to continuously adding new test capabilities to meet our clients’ evolving needs.”
Earlier this year, Smithers announced new cold soak freezers
that can maintain temperatures as low as -30°F. Demand for freezer testing
is growing among automotive OEMs and tier suppliers who are working to develop batteries and specialty components for electric vehicles. Smithers also announced a new high-speed electric vehicle charging station to streamline on-site testing of electric vehicle technologies.
The Smithers Winter Test Center (SWTC) is an industry-leading winter proving ground in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, with over 800 acres of snow, ice, and bare pavement surfaces and courses
. OEMs and tier suppliers engage the facility for testing and conducting performance evaluations on vehicle systems, tires
, and components under the special challenges of extreme cold and hazardous road conditions.
Founded in 1925 and headquartered in Akron, Ohio, Smithers is a multinational provider of testing, consulting, information, and compliance services. With laboratories and operations in North America, Europe, and Asia, Smithers supports customers in the transportation, life science, packaging, materials, components, consumer, and energy industries. Smithers delivers accurate data, on time, with high touch, by integrating science, technology, and business expertise, so customers can innovate with confidence.