There will be an increase in growth in the global packaging market across the next 5 years, as the packaging market is influenced by the technical and business evolution which is driving expansion globally.
Smithers latest market report, ‘The Future of Global Packaging to 2024’
forecasts the global packaging market value will increase from $917 billion in 2019 to $1.05 trillion by 2024, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 2.8%. Asia is the largest market of world packaging consumption, followed by North America and Western Europe.
Smithers’ analysis for ‘The Future of Global Packaging to 2024’
identifies the following major trends for the global packaging market over the next five years:
- There will be a continued focus on sustainability and environmental issues, particularly in Western Europe. Non-recyclable plastics packaging consumption is under pressure. This will lead to an appetite for more easily recyclable and sustainable packaging materials – such as paper and board, recycled PET (rPET), and bioplastics – as well as, a reduction in excessive secondary packaging.
- Rising real incomes in Asia and other developing regions will see more spending on packaged products, including food, luxury products and cosmetics.
- Flexible packaging will continue to replace traditional packaging. High-barrier films and retort stand-up pouches will challenge rigid pack formats, such as metal tins and glass jars, for a wide range of food products.
- Consumer concern for health and wellness will impact the market, with healthcare packaging market value growing ahead of pharmaceutical consumption. This is attributable to growing demand for convenience and security, including child-resistant closures and tamper evidence features.
- Consumer demand for convenience in food will see an increased consumption of microwavable ready meals, more portable packaging, packaging for on-the-go consumption, and convenience features, such as easy-open and reseal components.
Smithers latest report, ‘The Future of Global Packaging to 2024’
delivers expert insight into evolving packaging market trends, with a comprehensive data set for 2014–19 and forecasts for 2020–24.
Data is segmented by packaging material, end-use application and geographic market, with specific analysis on seven world regions and nearly fifty national packaging markets, in over 700 data tables and figures. This builds to create a comprehensive strategic picture of current and future demand in the global packaging market.
Find out more information and gain a full list of contents and figures