To preview all available dates and pricing - and to check for any Early Bird discounts - click 'Register' above.
Course dates - click register to select dates
- 16 Jan - 13 Feb 2023
- 26 Jun - 24 Jul 2023
If you already have a foundational understanding of rubber and want to learn more about rubber technology - you may be interested in: Introduction to Rubber Technology Online
Course details and format
- 4+ hours of recorded modules available
- Live Q&A after course completion
Online training: How it works
- Same high-quality content as our in-person course
- (Our in-person course features additional interactive sessions and live demonstrations)
- 4+ hours of expert training delivered via recorded modules hosted online - allowing you to study at a time that suits you
- 28 days access to recordings allowing you to learn at your own pace
- Same high quality Smithers' training experience
- No travel costs or complexities
- Live Q&A with course tutors - ask questions and consolidate learning
- Electronic copies of course notes
This foundational rubber course is designed to explain what rubber materials are, the types of materials available, the importance of compounding and how these materials are processed. This course is designed for those who are new to rubber materials and require a basic understanding of these materials, their processing, properties and uses. It does not require delegates to possess prior in-depth technical knowledge.
You will be able to:
- Understand what rubber materials are, where they come from and how they can be used.
- The types of rubber materials that exist and their properties.
- Why we compound rubber materials, how we compound them, and what compounding means in terms of material physical properties.
- Be aware of the various processing techniques used with rubber materials, how these operate and why they are used.
This will enable participating companies to:
- Gain a basic working understanding of rubber materials, their uses and processing techniques.
- Obtain materials skills that can be developed further into a more in-depth technical understanding of rubber materials, their properties and uses.
Gain CPD credits
Smithers is an IOM3 Quailty Assured training provider and our courses are approved towards professional development.
What is Rubber
Types of Rubber
- How do we recognise rubber materials.
- Where do they come from.
- Why are they useful.
- An understanding of the key polymer types and their basic properties.
- What compounding is and why we need it.
- The ingredients used in compounding and their purposes.
- Key considerations for compounding.
- The course will provide a basic introduction to the following rubber processing techniques:
- Rubber calendering
- Fabric calendering
Who will benefit
- Anyone who needs a basic working knowledge of rubber materials.
- Staff working in support of the rubber industry, who do not require in-depth technical knowledge.
- Non-technical industry newcomers and those who have no formal training.
- Anyone from companies whose core business activities are outside the rubber industry, i.e. downstream users of rubber materials and components, who need an appreciation of rubber materials to be able to communicate confidently with their suppliers or customers.
Questions and queries