- Consumption of corrugated packaging materials is likely to increase by nearly 4% annually between 2022 and 2027
- This will add over 40 million tonnes of material to the market over this period
- The value of the global market will increase by over $43 billion at constant 2021 prices.
This report represents the latest forecast of the global market for containerboard (raw materials) and corrugated board (converted products), drawn from a programme of primary and secondary research. The market is assessed from raw material production at paper mills through to finished corrugated packaging sold from converter plants to end users. Readers’ attention is drawn to the section below detailing changes from previous reports.
Our exclusive content
What will you discover?
- The highest volume growth over the forecast period is expected to occur in the processed foods and electronics sectors, with the beverage market expected to add over 2.5 million tonnes of demand to the global total over this period
- The global pandemic was a key driver of growth in corrugated demand, mainly in the e-commerce sector, with internet shopping growing at a dramatic rate during 2020. High growth in demand from the Asia-Pacific region, especially China, fuelled this further during this period.
The Smithers methodology
- Investment in new capacity during 2019–20 saw production volumes increase by over 8% during 2020, with much of this increase being absorbed into stock level replenishment – one week of stock equates to some 4 million tonnes of materials. Consequently, actual consumption of corrugated materials increased by just 4% during 2020, following over 5% growth during 2019.
This report is based on extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research consisted of interviews with targeted interviews with packaging material suppliers, converters and experts drawn from key markets. This was supported by secondary research in the form of extensive literature analysis of published data, official government statistics, domestic and international trade organisation data, company websites, industry reports, trade press articles, presentations, and attendance at trade events.
Who should buy the report?
About the author
- Raw material suppliers
- Corrugated board manufacturers
- Packaging manufacturers
- End users in the packaging sector
- Industry consultants and analysts
Stephen Harrod spent 11 years building a market research company in South Africa, focused on the paper and packaging industry in that country, following which he spent six years in the paper industry with Mondi and JAC Labels before relocating to the UK. He has been authoring reports for Smithers since 2006, with a focus on global paper and packaging markets.