Ssp, a Smithers company, has a long history of experience in applying all common methods for analyzing solid (bio) fuels, metals, metal alloys, ores, concentrates, and minerals. Our analysis is performed with the highest accuracy and reliability. Our Analytical Services are accredited according to the ISO/IEC 17025 standard.
Analysis we provide:
- Gravimetrical - This test monitors the weight changes in a sample as it is heated with steady temperature increases. Our experts utilize gravimetrical analysis to determine total moisture, volatile matter, and ash content within your products.
- Combustion calorimetry - This process is performed by placing a solid mineral fuel in a calibrated combustion vessel and burning the fuel until all water has been removed through vaporization. This allows our experts to determine the calorific value of your product at constant (atmospheric) pressure.
- Ion chromatography (IC) - IC is done by utilizing ion-exchange resins to remove atomic and molecular ions from products for analysis. Our experts can support projects that require separation and identification of components within commodities like coal or biofuels.
- X-ray Fluorescence Spectrometry (WD-XRF) - Utilizing this test allows you to see the elements present in your sample. Our expert analyzers accurately use a high energy x-ray beam to get a precise amount of each element present in your sample. This test requires little to no preparation and can be performed on a variety of samples, allowing you to receive accurate data in an efficient timeframe.
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Optical Emission Spectrometry (ICP-OES) - When it is required to know the exact breakdown of a solid material, ICP-OES is the ideal choice. This analysis is performed by sparking and vaporizing a small amount of material. This spark creates plasma that can be analyzed by our experts to determine the elements present in the sample.
- Ash Fusion (AFT) - This test gives an indication of the softening and melting behaviors of coal ash at high temperatures within a boiler. Our AFT provides you with accurate data that allows you to estimate and control the potential of your coal to slag.
- Free Swelling Index (FSI) - This test is used to determine the swelling characteristics of coal when heated to extreme temperatures. The data can be useful in determining the plastic properties of coal as well as the coking capability of the coal.
- Hard Grove Index (HGI) - The HGI indicates how coal performs in your mill and assists you in estimating the power requirements needed for grinding. Our experts provide a full accurate report on the grindability of your coal to international standards in a timely manner.
- Elemental Combustion Analysers - This is performed by utilizing several elemental analyzers. Amounts of Carbon, Sulfur, Oxygen, Nitrogen and Hydrogen can be determined through combustion of of coal, cokes, biofuels, metals, ores or minerals. The principle of the test is based on the full combustion of the sample at high temperatures, where gas is formed. The produced gas can be detected by highly sensitive infrared and conductivity sensors. Our experts will provide you an accurate report, on time.