Security and Print Senior Consultant
United KingdomContact David
The most commonly used film for decorative film lamination in the UK is OPP (orientated polypropylene); gloss, matte and silk finishes are offered. Other films include cellulose acetate and polyester, where specific properties such as biodegradability and heat/chemical resistance are required. Specialist films with textured and particular tactile properties are also available.
On those occasions when things have gone wrong following the film lamination process, Smithers can assist in determining the root cause of the problem.
Typical issues include:
• Colour change (chemical and optical)
• Film lift and poor adhesion
• ‘Piping’ (film lifting in a random pattern)
• ‘Silvering’ /poor appearance
• Issues with gluing and foil blocking
• Bond strength
• Surface slip.