The size of the adhesives market in 2021 is forecast to be 16.6 million tonnes and $72.7 billion in 2021. The global packaging adhesives market is forecast to grow by 3.4% in the next five years to reach just over 7.9 million tonnes by 2027. In 2021 the global packaging adhesives market accounts for two fifths of the volume of the total global adhesives & sealants market.
This study looks at the global packaging adhesives market up to 2027: a detailed overview of its key market drivers, foreseen trends and developments. This global study includes market estimates and forecasts split by packaging format (rigid packaging/labels, flexible packaging), by technology (water-borne, solvent-borne/reactive systems, hot melt/other thermoplastics and radiation curing) and end-use applications (food, beverage, non-food). It also includes packaging adhesives market estimates and forecasts by region.
Our exclusive content
What will you discover?
- In terms of packaging adhesives technologies, water-borne formulations and hot melt adhesives dominate the global market. This is due to their economy, ease of use, and environmental and safety advantages
- Solvent borne/reactive systems also take an important share for specifically medium and high-performance requirements, despite continued stringent regulations on use of solvent borne because of health/safety concerns.
The Smithers methodology
- Current packaging trends, especially in the developed nations, are about reducing packaging waste and encouraging the reuse of packaging, as well as light weighting and recycling of packaging
- Sustainability driven by a constant push from regulatory authorities and pull from NGOs and consumers
- These sustainability factors, along with aesthetics, are key drivers in the packaging sector (and its adhesives) over the forecast period (2022–27)
- There is also a general trend of adhesives that contribute to a more efficient production process with a lower CO2 footprint.
This report is based on extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research consisted of targeted interviews with material suppliers, converters and experts drawn from key markets. This was supported by secondary research in the form of extensive literature analysis of published data, official government statistics, domestic and international trade organisation data, company websites, industry reports, trade press articles, presentations, and attendance at trade events.
Who should buy the report?
About the author
- Adhesive raw material suppliers
- Adhesives formulators
- Packaging converters
- Equipment manufacturers
- Packaging material suppliers
- Industry consultants, investors, regulators and analysts
Henrique Savelsberg is a senior market researcher with over 20 years’ experience in conducting global research studies. Henrique has been working with Smithers for over 10 years, having conducted many tires studies, the most recent concerning autonomous vehicles and electric vehicles and their impact upon tires.