The current and future demand for packaging in 17 major and 33 minor national markets globally across 2021–2026. The technical and business evolution that is driving expansion within packaging and how these influences will develop within a global dimension. How and when the industry will respond to key pressures, such as tighter sustainability targets and raw material prices, and the commercial implications.
Our exclusive content
What will you discover?
- Asia is the largest market accounting for 43% of world packaging sales in 2020,
- North America is in second place accounting for 23% of world packaging sales, ahead of Western Europe with 19%
- The emerging and developing regions of Eastern Europe, South & Central America, the Middle East and Africa each account for a relatively small share of packaging sales at present.
The Smithers methodology
- The fastest growing end uses and the trends that are driving this acceleration
- How the Covid-19 pandemic has changed consumer behaviours and the consequential impact this has had on the packaging industry
- How supply chain disruption has affected countries across the globe and the knock-on effect for packaging
- How changing and challenging economic circumstances in developing regions is impacting the whole packaging market
This report is based on extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research consisted of targeted interviews with material suppliers, converters and experts drawn from key markets. This was supported by secondary research in the form of extensive literature analysis of published data, official government statistics, domestic and international trade organisation data, company websites, industry reports, tradepress articles, presentations, and attendance at trade events.
Who should buy the report?
About the author
- Packaging converters
- Industry consultants and analysts
- Packaging machinery manufacturers
- Raw material suppliers
- Packaging suppliers
- Brand owners
David Platt is a freelance business researcher and writer with a broad range of experience in the plastics and packaging industry. He has authored over 50 market reports for Smithers on subjects including global packaging, rigid plastic packaging, PET packaging, flexible packaging, bioplastics, specialty plastics, high-performance packaging film, and pouches, caps & closures. He has participated in consultancy projects and has authored two books for
Smithers, and writes for Sustainable Plastics magazine.