Due to the ever-changing environments in which they operate, materials used in automotive
and industrial components
can be susceptible to fluids affecting performance characteristics, durability and compliance.
Our fluid compatibility testing equipment has been developed to be flexible, meeting the needs of demanding test criteria. We have a large range of fluids and fuels available for fluids testing including:
- Fuel vapor
- Hydraulic, brake, and transmission fluids
- Aviation fuels and fluids
- Other alternative fuels
These fluids can be applied over a wide temperature range. Components or material samples of various dimensions and geometry, ranging from fabrics to large components, can be tested in various chamber sizes. In addition, our laboratories offer an extensive range of material
and product testing
capabilities. We can test in dynamic applications with pumped or pressurized fluids or in static fluid immersion applications, both in a broad temperature range.
Industries Smithers serves with fluids testing
Our experts can provide fluid compatibility testing to a number of recognized industry standards as well as to OEM specifications. We can also design custom testing protocols based on the unique service environment of your product or material.
Common standards for fluids testing
- ASTM D471 — Standard Test Method for Rubber Property — Effect of Liquids
- ISO 1817 — Rubber, vulcanized or thermoplastic — Determination of the Effect of Liquids
- RCTA-DO-160 — Environmental Conditions and Test Procedures for Airborne Equipment
- MIL-STD-810G — Environmental Engineering Considerations and Laboratory Tests
- DEF STAN 00-35 — Environmental Handbook for Defense Material