This procedure has been designed to provide a standard set of tests to understand individual package / product performance when evaluated against several handling conditions. ISTA 2 Series protocols include components of both the 1 and 3 Series for evaluation.
Packages will be subjected to the following tests (in order):
- Atmospheric preconditioning at ambient temperature / humidity
- Atmospheric conditioning at controlled temperature and humidity levels based on detailed guidelines
- Compression using one of the following methods
- Machine apply and release (calculated test force x 1.4)
- Machine apply and hold (calculated test force)
- Weight and load spreader (calculated test load)
- Vibration using either fixed displacement (1 inch peak to peak at a predetermined frequency) or random (overall Grmslevel of 1.15) methods
- Shock testing which can be conducted by drop (6 inches), incline impact (69 inches per second impact velocity) or horizontal impact (69 inches per second velocity change).
- Rotational drop shock testing at 8 inches
- Vibration using either fixed displacement (1 inch peak to peak at a predetermined frequency) or random (overall Grmslevel of 1.15) methods.
Types of packaging tested under this method
- Individual packaging (non-palletized) weighing over 150 lbs (68 kg).
Please Note: The information outlined above is to be used as reference for ISTA 2B. Please refer to ISTA's website for full details.
Contact our Experts