Life prediction and accelerated aging can be assessed throughout the product cycle from material evaluation, product development, and material qualification through to prototype design and final product stages.
Helping you to evaluate the long-term performance of your materials
As service conditions become increasingly more demanding there is a need to demonstrate material durability and ensure a material is fit for purpose. Testing materials and products exposed to accelerated high temperature aging enables product service life predictions to be evaluated.
Smithers performs test programs which are run to customer requirements around national, international and OEM-driven test standards. These are supported by Smithers’ UKAS accredited ISO 17025 test laboratories and expert consultancy services.
Our team evaluates how a polymer material can be susceptible to change, such as composition changes, oxidation, thermal degradation, chemical attack, plasticization and crystallization.
Prediction of expected product life time
Smithers helps generate data to drive product improvements. Polymer material performance is dependent on time, temperature, stress and environmental factors which can all be investigated with the following testing:
- Mechanical (creep, fatigue, stress relaxation, impact, environmental stress cracking (ESC) and wear)
- Thermal (degradation, dimensional stability, fire)
- Oxidative (oxygen, ozone and metal catalyst)
- Chemical (fluids, gases, water and steam)
- Radiation (sunlight, ultraviolet light and atomic radiation)
- Biological (microorganisms)
- Electrical (arcing, electrostatic build up, dielectric breakdown)
Our polymer material experts provide accurate data following high temperature accelerated aging, including environmental testing, fluid aging and physical and mechanical testing.
Our Experts can advise on:
- Physical and mechanical bespoke test programs
- Life prediction and aging studies (Arrhenius relation and time dependant superposition)
- Comparison of accelerated and natural aging studies
- Failure mechanisms
Materials tested include
- Plastics – ABS, Acetal, PMMA, PVC, EVA, LDPE, HDPE, PP, Nylons, PET, PBT, Polycarbonate, PEEK, PVDF, PTFE, TPUs
- Rubber – Natural (NR), Ethelene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM), SBR, Butyl (IIR), Viton (FKM), Nitrile (NBR), Silicones (Q)
- Composite coupons and laminates
- Test specimens and components (including pipes, O-rings, seals and cables)
Industries served include
Find out more about our other polymer testing capabilities
Download a brochure for more information: