Expert chemical analysis support throughout the product lifecycle
Smithers provides independent chemical characterization and analysis of rubber and plastic materials to clients operating in a wide range of industries. Our analytical chemistry services can be commissioned individually or as part of a more extensive consulting project.
We help clients understand, manage, and improve the performance of their materials and products using a range of analytical techniques together with expert interpretation of results, guidance, and advice. Our skilled chemical analysis team at our rubber and plastic material testing labs will work with you to understand your needs and recommend or develop an appropriate test program. There are very few requests we would consider to be routine – each request is in some way unique and is treated with the sensitivity and confidentiality it deserves.
Recycled polymer material characterization
When working with new compounds and sustainable, recyclate-based material formulations – gaining full confidence in their performance requires accurate assessment of not only physical and mechanical properties but also the identification and mitigation of any contaminants.
In addition to a full suite of mechanical tests, Smithers can provide chemical analysis of sustainable materials including compounds containing recyclate. Through careful characterization, we can give you confidence in the chemical makeup of your materials allowing you to have quality control over your feedstock, mitigate the impact of any contaminants and better understand your materials.
Our end-to-end product lifecycle support includes:
- Identification of raw materials
- Quality control of incoming materials and finished product (including plastic and rubber contamination analysis, material characterization, failure diagnosis)
- GPC testing - polymer molecular weight characterization
- Finished product testing
- Compliance with regulatory standards
- Composition of recycled materials
- Measurement of extractables and leachables
- Expert witness service
- Method development and validation
We offer a range of techniques that examine the chemical and physical properties of numerous materials and compounds:
- Base polymers: elastomers, plastics, and natural polymers
- Compounds: rubber, thermoplastics, and thermosetting formulations
- Additives: anti-degradants, anti-oxidants, curatives, extenders, fillers and plasticizers
- Products: adhesives, coatings, composites, inks, lacquers, laminates, plastisols
The Smithers chemical analysis team works with clients in a range of industries including: automotive, tire, construction, consumer products, materials recycling, medical device, packaging, petroleum, pharmaceutical, and rubber manufacturing industries.